Thursday, November 20, 2008

Run, Don't Walk

I am coming up on the 34th anniversary of my initiation at Yule, and not much scares me. The other day, I saw something that gave me nightmares. It was an article written by my magical teacher and published on Witchvox

It was not the contents of the article that scared me, it was the name signed on the bottom. I cannot mention it here because of that pesky rule in the Law about not exposing any of the Craft to any tribunal outside. Any of you who have heard about Randy, the Alley God, and/or the Octopus Enthroned will know who (s)he is.

I studied under this person for 4 1/2 years. They were the greatest privilege,and the direst trial of my life. (S)he was/is brilliant, an excellent communicator, and could be kind, funny, charming, the whole dream teacher. (S)he could also be tyrannical, arbitrary and violently abusive.

It is that violence that scared me, still does. And, that fear in my heart is why I am writing. To a student, a teacher is a lesser God. A teacher holds the student's soul in their hands. A Teacher who abuses this holy trust can do irreparable damage. I speak from experience. I have permanent damage to my left eye from a fist, permanent damage to my self image from the emotional abuse, and a murdered familiar to remind me.

Students, Dedicants, and prospective Witches, I implore you, before you sign on, check out your Teacher. What is his/her standing in the community? Have there been a rash of un- or poorly explained departures from their group? Yes, we are beset with our share of genuinely unprepared and unworthy students, but is this teacher's luck unusually bad?

If, after you have begun training with them you find they are making demands on you that contravene your instincive boundaries, taking more and more and more control of your life, cut you off from harmless non-Craft friends, or make you feel just wrong , RUN, do not walk as far away as possible.

I did not. Consequently, I was shamed, beaten, estranged from my family, and generally abused. I know how bad it is to love one's abuser almost more than one loves one's own life. Teachers can have that power. Mine did. Because I was unwary, trusting, and young for my age, I allowed it to happen to me. Please, be forewarned, and do not let it happen to you.

Wicca respects the relationship between a student and their Teacher, and being interfered with so often , we are loath to interfere. Still we owe i t to those whose lives are in our care to demand of ourselves the highest level of ethical behavior, and to deal summarily with those who offer themselves as Teachers , but refuse to do the same. I am available to advise and help, May the Lady bless!
Mare

No comments: