Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Triumph and Tragedy

I will start with a small triumph. Today, for the first time in two years, I walked , Not far. But. I had no walker, just the arm of an orderly. I am exhausted, but still glowing!

Now for a minor rant.about a major problem. Abuse of the helpless, of whatever age has been in the news a lot lately. The worst abuse, I am certain is the old paralyzing "Don't Care" syndrome. This pernicious affliction is characterized by lack of empathy, lowered expectations, and sinking temperatures, especially around the heart.

Yesterday, I was witness to an incidence of abuse that was the more horrible because the abusers did not intend or even realize that they had done anything wrong.
Both of my room mates suffer from dementia. Neither of them know if I am the Second Coming or the Easter Bunny. The lady on my left, I'll call her Lori, was dressed and ready to go to the day room after breakfast. The CNA assigned to my room went to find the huge, crane-like lifting machine that helps support people who can't walk while they are transferred from bed to wheelchair and back. Finding the one at this end of the hall was in use she made her first mistake. Instead of waiting the few minutes for the machine to be freed up, or going looking for one of the two other machines in other wings which might not be in use, she made her second mistake. She picked a big,healthy guy who was also afflicted with "Don't Care"-itis to help her. They just grabbed the poor lady under the arms and plumped her down into the chair by main force. I heard the noise!
It was loud enough to make me jump. I looked around and saw an expression of stark terror on her face! There was no way to explain what they were doing, even if they had cared enough to try - and she cannot speak to complain. I complained, and loudly. The answer I got was saddest of all the sad things about this story. The guy slunk away without a word, the CNA excused herself by saying the lifting machine was in use.

I spent 10 minutes soothing my room mate the only way I knew how,soft voice and smiles. her fear gradually faded, and she was taken to the day room. I hope she has forgotten. I never will.

Now, to take the bad taste away, another triumph. I had never known, before I started attending a class in Japanese Art that I was any kind of an artist at all. This year, our county fair had an art show, and some of our teacher;s students were invited to exhibit works. I was really speechless when the teacher asked if I would like to enter, I had never even thought I could draw, much less competed! I did enter the Fair,. My painting is what is called a Hai Ga - a work that combines a poem and a bamboo brush painting. I actually won an ugly pink fourth prize ribbon, The greatest thing about this triumph is that the judges did not know I am in a hospital, were unaware of my handicaps and prognosis, I did it on the strength of what I had been taught to do. Not even one pity point!

No comments: